
I pulled the axles from under my parts Jeep (the white 88) and sold them to a customer. He asked that I take them and put them under his 89 YJ for an axle upgrade. While we were discussing this we decided it woud also be a good time to do a Spring Over Axle (SOA) Conversion since we would have to move the spring perches anyway. The SOA would allow for 5 1/2" of lift and a much more flexible spring setup (less arched springs) to allow for greater articulation. The picture to the right shows the perches relocated for SOA.

To account for the SOA on the front, the steering linkage and geometry had to be modified as well to keep the drag link from hitting the springs during cycling, and also to alleviate a common issue with bigger lifts called "bump-steer" due to the increased drag-link angle. The customer supplied me with "Flat-top" knuckles from a Corporate 10 bolt axle (compatible with the Jeep/Spicer Dana 44 axle, but easier for high-steer conversion) and we modified the steering as needed.

It's all buttoned up now and the owner sent me a picture I thought I'd share. You can tell how happy he is with his new axle upgrade and the SOA setup just by looking at the pic of it flexing.
No comments:
Post a Comment